GILPIN, TEXAS. Gilpin is a mile south of State Highway 70 and eight miles southeast of Spur in extreme southern Dickens County. A post office established there on November 13, 1908, was originally named Poet but was renamed Gilpin on September 11, 1909, to honor William B. Gilpin, early settler, county judge, and first postmaster. In 1909 the settlement became a station on the Stamford and Northwestern Railway. Gilpin reported twenty-five residents and one store in 1948. Its post office was moved to Spur on June 15, 1954. The 1980 county highway map identified Gilpin, but showed no businesses at the site. In 2000 the population was three.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "GILPIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg12), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.