GLOBE, TEXAS. Globe is at the intersection of Farm Road 79 and a dirt road, seven miles northwest of Paris in eastern Lamar County. The area was occupied by 1899, when a local post office opened with T. H. Wheeler as postmaster. Wheeler's son, inspired by the globe of a kerosene lamp, suggested the name for the town after the postal department rejected Wheeler's first choice. The settlement was close to Paris and remained small. The post office closed in 1906. In 1931 Globe reported two businesses; the population was thirty in 1933. Maps for 1936 showed the community as a school and a small cluster of dwellings. One of the stores closed in 1942, and by 1957 the school had been consolidated with the Central Independent School District, which had become part of the North Lamar system by 1970. Maps of the 1980s showed a store and a few scattered dwellings at Globe.
Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "GLOBE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg19), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.