GOSHEN, TX (WALKER COUNTY)
GOSHEN, TEXAS (Walker County). Goshen was just north of what is now the junction of Farm roads 3179 and 1791, about twelve miles southwest of Huntsville in southwestern Walker County. It developed around the Farris Chapel Methodist Church, which was established by Hezekiah Faris (Farris). The community was named for Goshen, Tennessee, from which many of its early settlers had moved. Goshen had a post office from 1854 to 1866. Another post office, called Hutcheson, operated there from 1895 to 1916. By 1904 the community had about 100 residents, but its population had dropped to twenty-five by 1914, when it had a general store and a sawmill. In 1936 the area called Goshen had scattered farm dwellings, a business, a school, and a church. The 1983 county highway map identified the Goshen community but did not show any structures at the site.
Walker County Genealogical Society and Walker County Historical Commission, Walker County (Dallas, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.James L. Hailey, "GOSHEN, TX (WALKER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg23), accessed March 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.