GRIFFITH, TX (ELLIS COUNTY)
GRIFFITH, TEXAS (Ellis County). Griffith is on Farm Road 2258 and Boggy Branch, thirteen miles west of Waxahachie in western Ellis County. It was named for J. W. Griffith, an early settler, and became known as Griffith Switch when a spur track for the International-Great Northern Railroad was laid through the community in 1903. It served primarily as a cattle shipping point. By the 1930s Griffith had a population estimated at twenty-five and one business. Its population remained at that level until 1970, when no estimates were available. At that time Griffith had a store, a cotton gin, and a gas station. In 1990 its population was reported as ten. The population remained the same in 2000.
Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lisa C. Maxwell, "GRIFFITH, TX (ELLIS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg28), accessed December 07, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.