GANO, TEXAS. Gano was on Farm Road 486 six miles south of Thorndale in southeastern Williamson County on the Milam county line. It was formed around 1890 by the Watson and Wilder families and named for Confederate general Richard M. Gano, a resident of nearby Taylor. A post office opened in 1891, and by 1892 the community had a population of seventy-five, including two livestock agents, a doctor, and a carpenter. At that time it also had a gin, a mill, and a general store. The nearby school, called Gentry, was named for a local settler and predated the Gano community by twelve years. By 1903 the school had changed its name to Gano and had sixty-four students. The post office closed in 1907, and the school was consolidated with that of Fairview sometime thereafter. Gano was not shown on the 1948 county highway map.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "GANO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg38), accessed October 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.