GUM SPRINGS, TX (HARRISON COUNTY)
GUM SPRINGS, TEXAS (Harrison County). Gum Springs is on Farm Road 968 just east of Longview and eighteen miles southwest of Marshall in the southwestern corner of Harrison County. The community was settled in the 1850s. In 1897 the Gum Springs school served seventy white pupils, and in 1904 the Gum Springs school district had one school for seventy white pupils and two schools serving ninety-six black pupils. The schools were still operating in the 1930s, but by 1983 Gum Springs comprised only a church, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "GUM SPRINGS, TX (HARRISON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg51), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.