GAY, TEXAS. Gay was seven miles southwest of Bronson and nineteen miles southeast of San Augustine in southeastern San Augustine County. A post office opened in the community in 1908, and by 1914 Gay comprised an estimated fifty inhabitants, as well as a grocery store, general store, and cotton gin. Its post office closed in 1918, and by the 1930s the community was no longer shown on county highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "GAY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg55), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.