GIBSON CHAPEL, TX
GIBSON CHAPEL, TEXAS. Gibson Chapel is a half mile south of U.S. Highway 84 and a mile south of the community of Cotton Gin in western Freestone County. As early as 1891 Gibson Chapel had a black school, which had an enrollment of ninety-nine in 1893 and ninety in 1903. In the 1930s the community had a school, a church, and a number of scattered dwellings. From the 1960s to the 1980s it had a church, a business, and one dwelling.
Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "GIBSON CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg58), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.