GROVE ISLAND, TX
GROVE ISLAND, TEXAS. Grove Island, five miles northwest of Teague on the Limestone-Freestone county line in western Freestone County, was probably named for Grove Island Creek, which runs through the area. The community had a school for black students that in 1893 had an enrollment of forty-two and in 1903 an enrollment of thirty-five. By the 1930s the school had moved to Furney-Richardson, and the community comprised a church, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings. During the 1960s Grove Island had a church, a cemetery, and a few dwellings, and in the late 1980s its church and cemetery still remained.
Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "GROVE ISLAND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg59), accessed October 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.