GUAJOCO, TEXAS. Guajoco, also known as Huajuco and as the Fort Ewell settlement, was eleven miles northeast of Encinal in south central La Salle County. It seems to have been a satellite of Fort Ewell, the military outpost established in 1852. When the fort was abandoned in 1854, the few people remaining moved to Guajoco, 1½ miles away. By 1871 about sixty people lived in or near the community, which had a number of houses, a saloon, a general store, and a stagecoach stop to accommodate travelers on the road from San Antonio to Laredo. The post office for mail addressed to Fort Ewell was located in Guajoco. After the International-Great Northern Railroad bypassed Guajoco, and the Fort Ewell post office closed in 1886, the community began to fade away.
Annette Martin Ludeman, La Salle: La Salle County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John Leffler, "GUAJOCO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrgxa), accessed December 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.