GEORGIA, TEXAS. Georgia, originally called Georgiaville, is on Farm Road 2352 a mile east of Slough Creek and four miles south of Direct in extreme western Lamar County. The area was settled by 1860, when the Georgiaville post office opened. The post office closed in 1867. By 1908 the Georgia school had been established. The 1936 county highway map showed the school, a business, a church and cemetery, and a cluster of dwellings at the site. The school was eventually absorbed by larger systems and by 1957 had been consolidated into the Central Independent School District, which had become part of the North Lamar Independent School District by 1970. In 1980 Georgia had a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered homes. It still was still shown on maps as a church community in 1983.
Thomas S. Justiss, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Lamar County with a Plan for Their Reorganization (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "GEORGIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrgxe), accessed April 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.