HARDY, TEXAS. Hardy, on Farm Road 1630 twelve miles southeast of Montague in southeastern Montague County, was named for R. Hardy, who in 1880 established a sawmill at the site. A post office opened there in 1880 and closed in 1916. Hardy added a steam-powered gristmill and cotton gin before 1885. By 1904 the community reported 103 residents, probably the highest population it ever recorded. Rail lines bypassed Hardy, and its population decreased to twenty-five by the mid-1930s and remained at that level through the 1940s, after which no population statistics were available for several decades. The 1984 county highway map showed a cemetery at the Hardy townsite. In 2000 the population was six.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "HARDY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh12), accessed July 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.