HATCHETTVILLE, TEXAS. Hatchettville, a farming community on Farm Road 3236 some nine miles northeast of Sulphur Springs in northeastern Hopkins County, was named for E. L. Hatchet, who opened a store a half mile east of the Independence schoolhouse in 1908. The store later closed, and by the mid-1930s the community had only a few widely scattered farmhouses. In the late 1980s Hatchettville was a dispersed rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "HATCHETTVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh19), accessed March 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.