HILLS, TEXAS. Hills is on U.S. Highway 290 eight miles west of Giddings in southwestern Lee County. It was founded as a station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and named for R. E. Hill, an early settler. From 1901–06 a post office named Hill's Spur was in operation. In the mid-1930s the community had a business, a school, and a few scattered dwellings. Its population in 1933 was estimated at twenty-five. By the early 1950s the community's school had been consolidated with the Giddings Independent School District. The 1982 county highway map showed a business at Hills. Its reported population in 1990 was twenty. The population remained unchanged in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "HILLS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh34), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.