HOPKINSVILLE, TX (DEWITT COUNTY)
HOPKINSVILLE, TEXAS (DeWitt County). Hopkinsville is four miles south of Cuero and just east of U.S. Highway 183 in central DeWitt County. The predominantly black settlement originally centered around the Antioch Baptist Church, established in 1889, and the Hopkinsville school, established in 1898. The community was named for Henry Hopkins, who donated land for the church. The school was in the Arneckeville district and was probably closed by 1950, by which time most schools in the county had been consolidated. In 1965 Hopkinsville had a church and cemetery, and the old schoolhouse had become a community center.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Craig H. Roell, "HOPKINSVILLE, TX (DEWITT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh41), accessed July 14, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.