HUFF, TEXAS. Huff, also known as Hufftown, is on Lake Creek on a spur off State Highway 79 eight miles south of Lakeside City in northeastern Archer County. The community was one of several switches established by the Wichita Falls and Southern Railway in 1908. It was named for a railway attorney, Charles C. Huff. The railroad built alongside the tracks a giant concrete cistern that held a carful of water; this was reportedly the community's only source of fresh water. From 1909 to 1913 a post office operated at Huff. The 1936 county highway map showed a school and scattered dwellings at the townsite. Throughout its history Huff served as a community center for area ranchers, at one time providing them with a general store, blacksmith shop, and school. The 1984 county highway map showed a community center at the site. By 2000 Huff was no longer shown on county highway maps.
Jack Loftin, Trails Through Archer (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1979). Ruth Jones O'Keefe, Archer County Pioneers; A History of Archer County (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "HUFF, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh45), accessed December 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.