HURON, TEXAS. Huron is on Farm Road 933 fifteen miles northwest of Hillsboro in northwestern Hill County. The site was settled sometime after the Civil War, when Huron Gist arrived and established a general store for area farmers. Soon thereafter, a stone gristmill was added and later a church and a three-room schoolhouse. When residents applied for a post office branch, they submitted the name Huron in honor of Gist. The post office operated at Huron from 1897 to 1904. In 1918 the old Huron schoolhouse burned and was replaced by a more modern building. There are few reliable population statistics available for the community, but apparently its population never exceeded fifty. By the late 1960s Huron had two churches and about a dozen scattered dwellings. A school and a business were still in the area in the early 1980s.
Hill County Historical Commission, A History of Hill County, Texas, 1853–1980 (Waco: Texian, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "HURON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh48), accessed August 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.