HURST SPRINGS, TX
HURST SPRINGS, TEXAS. Hurst Springs (Hurst), on Farm Road 182 five miles northeast of Turnersville in northern Coryell County, was named for John H. Hurst, who established the community in the 1870s near a small spring. A post office opened there in 1877 with Franklin H. Justice as postmaster, then closed in 1883 but reopened in 1888. By the early 1890s the community had grown to include a cotton gin, a corn mill, a church, a district school, two general stores, and 100 residents. The Hurst post office closed again in 1906, and local mail was sent to Norse in Bosque County. By the 1930s Hurst's population had fallen to twenty-five, but in the late 1940s and 1950s it reported 100 residents. Most people who stayed in the area were farmers who raised some cattle and grew grains and sorghum. In the mid-1980s several new homes had been built or were under construction in the Hurst Springs area. In 2000 the population was eight.
Clyde and Mabel Bailey, Vignettes of Coryell County (Gatesville, Texas: Gatesville Printing, 1976). Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "HURST SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh49), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.