HOT, TEXAS. Hot, nine miles north of San Augustine in southern Shelby County, had a post office from 1897 to 1908. Thomas J. Killen was postmaster there. An important focus of community life was the St. James Baptist Church, which also functioned as a school building. In 1899 the school served twenty-two black students. By 1938 the community's school had been consolidated with other schools in the area, and by 1984 Hot had ceased to exist as a named community.
Charles E. Tatum, Shelby County: In the East Texas Hills (Austin: Eakin, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "HOT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh56), accessed April 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.