HARP, TEXAS. Harp, a mile south of Farm Road 416 and fourteen miles northeast of Fairfield in northeastern Freestone County, received a post office in 1899, with William T. Rooney as first postmaster. The community also had a school. Harp's post office closed in 1907, and mail was sent to Winkler. In the 1930s Harp had a cemetery, two churches, a school, and numerous scattered dwellings; by the 1960s it had a church, a cemetery, and a few dwellings. In the late 1980s the church and cemetery still remained at the site.
Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "HARP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh79), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.