HEBRON, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
HEBRON, TEXAS (Smith County). Hebron is on the old Longview road (Farm Road 1252) three miles northeast of Tyler in central Smith County. The area was settled as early as 1903, when county records listed two one-teacher schools there: one with sixty-one black students, the other with forty-five white. The 1936 county highway map shows a small cluster of farms in the vicinity, just south of Pleasant Grove. That year the Hebron Elementary School had two teachers and forty-eight white students; the fifty-one local black children were not enrolled. By 1952 the community's elementary school had been consolidated with the Chapel Hill Independent School District. In 1972 Hebron comprised a church and a few scattered dwellings.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "HEBRON, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh84), accessed November 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.