HAIRSTON CREEK, TX
HAIRSTON CREEK, TEXAS. Hairston Creek, on Hairston Creek seven miles southeast of Burnet in Burnet County, was named for Ezekiel P. Hairston, an early settler in the area. In 1871 G. W. and L. W. Coon gave an acre of land for a local school, but it is not clear if one was built at that time. Construction of a school building for the community was at least started in 1881 on land donated by M. H. Corker. A one-teacher school served thirty-four area students in the mid-1890s. The school building was also used for church services and other community activities. In 1910 the school's name was changed from Hairston Creek to Will Moore, in honor of William H. Moore, a local supporter of the school. The school was consolidated with the Burnet Independent School District in 1941. In the late 1940s several scattered houses marked the Hairston Creek community on county highway maps, but by the 1980s only a cemetery remained at the site.
Darrell Debo, Burnet County History (2 vols., Burnet, Texas: Eakin, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "HAIRSTON CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh89), accessed June 20, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.