HAMBURG, TEXAS. Hamburg, twenty-four miles southeast of Canton on what is now the north side of State Highway 64 in southeastern Van Zandt County, was the name given to a post office established in 1852 at a site across the road from the Coltharp-Beall House, built in 1849. This post office was discontinued in 1866, reestablished in 1874, and discontinued again in 1881. The post office, a general store, and the early residence mark the original site of Edom, which subsequently moved five miles to the west. Hamburg had a stagecoach stand midway between Dallas and Shreveport, which was used by traveling preachers and community residents as a place of worship.
Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "HAMBURG, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh91), accessed June 20, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.