HICKORY GROVE, TX (DELTA COUNTY)
HICKORY GROVE, TEXAS (Delta County). Hickory Grove, on State Highway 154 and a dirt road three miles east of Cooper in central Delta County, is bordered on the west by a branch of Big Creek and on the east by Boyd Branch. The area was settled by 1875 when the Hickory Grove school opened; early teachers included J. N. Cornwall and "Dad Shannon." By 1931 local residents had established the Hickory Grove Baptist Church and sent a delegate to a meeting of the Delta County Baptist Association. The 1936 county highway map identified the settlement as a school and a cluster of dwellings. In 1949 the Hickory Grove school was consolidated with the Cooper school system. The church at Hickory Grove later closed, and a 1964 map showed only the Hickory Grove cemetery at the site. The community appeared on the 1984 county highway map.
Paul Garland Hervey, A History of Education in Delta County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1951). Wilma Ross and Billie Phillips, Photos and Tales of Delta County (1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "HICKORY GROVE, TX (DELTA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh98), accessed May 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.