HICKORY GROVE, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)
HICKORY GROVE, TEXAS (Lamar County). Hickory Grove is at the intersection of Farm Road 137 and a gravel road four miles west of Roxton in southwestern Lamar County. It is bordered on the east by Noble Creek and on the west by Ghost Creek. By 1896 the Hickory Grove school reported sixty-seven students and one teacher. The 1936 county highway map showed the community as an unidentified school, a church, two cemeteries, and a cluster of dwellings. By 1957 the Hickory Grove school had been consolidated into the Roxton Independent School District, and by the early 1980s only the cemeteries remained at the site.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "HICKORY GROVE, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrhad), accessed August 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.