HOGG, TEXAS. Hogg is a tiny rural community located near the junction of State Highway 21 and Farm Road 696 about ten miles southwest of Caldwell in western Burleson County. Settlement began in the area by the early 1860s when the White family purchased property and operated a two-story stagecoach hostelry known as the White Inn. It was conveniently located for travelers along the Old San Antonio Road as well as for trail drivers herding cattle on a branch of the Chisholm Trail. Just north of the inn, Buffalo Springs on Buffalo Creek became a well-known watering hole and site of camp meetings. By the 1890s a farming community had developed. When a post office opened in 1893 residents selected the name Hogg for the community in honor of Governor James Hogg. Hogg had a population of ten in 1896 and received daily mail. The post office, however, closed in 1905. Citizens constructed a log schoolhouse early in the town's existence. In 1915 they built a new school that also served as a church. Highway maps of the 1930s still showed the school and homes in the area. Though Hogg still appeared on maps in the late twentieth century, the school had long closed and no population estimates were available.
Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "HOGG, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrhaf), accessed April 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.