HOLLAND QUARTERS, TX
HOLLAND QUARTERS, TEXAS. Holland Quarters, on Farm Road 959 five miles northwest of Carthage in central Panola County, was established after the Civil War. A school known as Holland was in operation in the 1890s, and in 1897 it had an enrollment of seventy-nine black students. In the mid-1930s Holland Quarters had a school, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. During the 1940s its school was consolidated with that of Carthage, and in the mid-1960s only a church and a few scattered houses still remained in the area. In the early 1990s Holland Quarters was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of forty. The population remained at forty in 2000.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "HOLLAND QUARTERS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrhdr), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.