HAMLET, TEXAS. Hamlet was fourteen miles east of Lufkin near the site of present Biloxi in eastern Angelina County. The settlement evidently grew up in the 1880s or early 1890s. John W. and Martha A. Oates ran a general store at the site, and a post office in the Oates's store served the area from 1894 to 1908. Hamlet reported a population of ten in 1896. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.
Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "HAMLET, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrhkz), accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.