HANCOCK, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)
HANCOCK, TEXAS (Limestone County). Hancock was sixteen miles northwest of Mexia in northern Limestone County. A post office was established there in 1886 with Ross Hancock as postmaster. In the mid-1890s the community had a cotton gin and twenty-five residents. The Hancock school served a fairly wide area and had eighty-two students in 1896. The post office was discontinued in 1905, and mail for Hancock was sent to Coolidge. A few scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1940s.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "HANCOCK, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrhns), accessed August 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.