HILLCOAT, TEXAS. Hillcoat was twenty miles northeast of Brackettville in northeastern Kinney County. It was probably named after Frederick Hillcoat, an area rancher who was postmaster of the Hillcoat post office in 1892. That year the settlement had an estimated population of sixty and a Catholic church administered by Rev. Julian Ortiz. Hillcoat's post office operated from 1890 until 1894, the year the community appears to have been abandoned.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "HILLCOAT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrhvg), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.