HORACE, TEXAS. Horace was a farming community eleven miles south of Gilmer and eight miles northwest of Longview in south central Upshur County. The community was probably settled sometime after the Civil War. It had a post office from 1889 until 1896, when it also had two general stores and an estimated population of twenty. Horace was not shown on the 1936 county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "HORACE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrhvx), accessed August 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.