HARLANVILLE, TEXAS. Harlanville was about six miles northeast of Reagan in eastern Falls County. In the 1830s the Harlan family of Indiana received a land grant on the site and may have built a log cabin in the area. Members of the family started a more permanent settlement in the early 1850s, and the Harlan Baptist Church was founded in 1859. The settlement was linked to a wider area called the Blue Ridge community, but seems to have maintained a separate identity for many years. The Harlanville post office was established in 1899 and discontinued in 1904. In the 1940s and 1950s the community had an estimated fifty residents and two businesses; thirty-four residents were reported there in the mid-1960s. By the 1980s Harlanville was no longer identified on maps, and the rural area was known as Blue Ridge.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "HARLANVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrhwh), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.