HOLMES, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)
HOLMES, TEXAS (Panola County). Holmes was a post office community 6½ miles southeast of Carthage in southeastern Panola County. A post office opened there in 1888, with Benjamin F. Holmes as postmaster. In the early 1890s the settlement had three cotton gins, a blacksmith shop, and an estimated population of seventy. The Holmes post office closed in 1895, and mail was sent to Carthage. A school was operating at Holmes by 1897, when it had an enrollment of twenty-six. By the mid-1930s Holmes was no longer shown on the county highway maps.
John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "HOLMES, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrhxh), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.