IMOGENE, TEXAS. Imogene, also known as Imogene Humble Camp, was five miles southeast of Jourdanton and two miles west of State Highway 173 in central Atascosa County. It was named in 1909 for the daughter of Charles F. Simmons, an area real estate developer. The community had a post office from July 1910 to June 1911, and the Imogene School enrolled twenty-six students in 1914. In 1934 the number of students at the school had increased to forty-nine. Oil was discovered in the area in the 1940s, and Imogene became a residential community in 1942, when the Humble Oil and Refining Company (later Exxon Company, U.S.A.) built a group of houses on the Imogene townsite for use by its oilfield employees. In 1951 another oilfield, the Imogene (South Carrizo) oilfield, was discovered. While both Imogene oilfields are recorded on topographic and highway maps made in the 1980s, these maps show no trace of human habitation at the site.
Margaret G. Clover, The Place Names of Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952). Martin Stroble, Administrative Survey and Proposed Plan of Reorganization for the Public Schools of Atascosa County (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Linda Peterson, "IMOGENE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hri11), accessed September 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.