IRIS, TEXAS. Iris was off Farm Road 357 sixteen miles northeast of Trinity in northern Trinity County. The area was first settled around the time of the Civil War. A school was established before 1887, and a post office began operating there in 1900. Around 1904 the Diboll Lumber Company established two camps nearby. The post office closed in 1912, and the school was later consolidated with the Apple Springs schools. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "IRIS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrifn), accessed March 08, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.