JOPLIN, TEXAS. Joplin, originally called Haley Springs, is on State Highway 199 ten miles southeast of Jacksboro in southeastern Jack County. It has served as a community center for area farmers throughout its history. Its population, estimated at thirty-five in 1892, grew to seventy-five by 1896 and was reported at that level until the mid-1940s, when it dropped to fifty. The Fairview School, three churches, a general store, a mill, and a gin were present in the community by 1896. The post office, established in 1891, closed in 1914.
Ida Lasater Huckabay, Ninety-Four Years in Jack County (Austin: Steck, 1949; centennial ed., Waco: Texian Press, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "JOPLIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrj15), accessed April 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.