JUMBO, TEXAS. Jumbo, off State Highway 315 seventeen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, was settled by planters before the Civil War. James C. Brady, who had established a gin, a store, and a gristmill there by 1885, secured a post office in 1888. By 1896 the settlement had a school and Baptist and Methodist churches. The post office closed in 1912, and the mail was sent to Clayton. In the mid-1930s Jumbo had a school and a number of scattered houses. Its school was consolidated with that of Gary in the 1940s. In the early 1990s Jumbo was a dispersed rural community.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). John Barnette Sanders, The Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "JUMBO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrj19), accessed May 22, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.