JAKES COLONY, TX
JAKES COLONY, TEXAS. Jakes Colony, nine miles south of Seguin and two miles west of what is now State Highway 123 in southern Guadalupe County, was established by former slaves. In 1904 it had a one-teacher school for seventy black students. There were a few scattered houses and a church in the area in 1946. Though the 1987 county highway map did not show any evidence of the community, a population of thirty was reported for Jakes Colony in 1990. By 2000 the population had doubled to sixty.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin (Guadalupe County).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "JAKES COLONY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrj21), accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.