JACKSON, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
JACKSON, TEXAS (Smith County). Jackson was on a dirt road between Farm Road 2767 and State Highway 31, east of Hankins Creek and north of Davis Branch seven miles east of Tyler in eastern Smith County. In 1936 it had a church, a school, two sawmills, three other businesses, and a collection of farms. At that time the eleven-grade Jackson school had seven teachers and 251 black students. By 1952 the school had been consolidated into the Chapel Hill Independent School District. In 1973 Jackson had one business and a few farms just west of the Chapel Hill oilfield. The community was not shown on the 1981 county highway map.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "JACKSON, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrj29), accessed May 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.