JAMESTOWN, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
JAMESTOWN, TEXAS (Smith County). Jamestown is at the intersection of Farm roads 1253 and 1805, four miles north of Garden Valley in extreme northwestern Smith County. It was originally part of the W. R. McAdams survey and is bordered on the east by Village Creek. In 1936 the community had a factory, two other businesses, a church, a cemetery, around thirty dwellings, and the Village Creek School, an elementary which served three teachers and sixty white students. The thirty black children in the neighborhood did not attend. In 1948 Jamestown's inhabitants numbered seventy-five. By 1952 its school system had been absorbed into the Van Independent School District in Van Zandt County. A late 1950s map showed a cemetery, a clay pit, and fifteen homes at Jamestown, and to the east the Bowman Cemetery. Jamestown had a church, a cemetery, a business, and fifteen dwellings in 1973. In 1990 the community reported a population of seventy-five. The population remained the same in 2000.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "JAMESTOWN, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrj30), accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.