JAMES, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)
JAMES, TEXAS (Houston County). James, on Farm Road 229 six miles northwest of Crockett in western Houston County, was established in the early 1880s. A post office opened there in 1881, and by 1885 the settlement had steam grist and shingle mills, a general store, a cotton gin, a church, a district school, and an estimated population of 100. The post office closed in 1886, but in the mid-1930s the community still had a church, a school, and five businesses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s only a cemetery and a few widely scattered houses remained in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "JAMES, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrjld), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.