KAMEY, TEXAS. Kamey, on U.S. Highway 87 eight miles northwest of Port Lavaca in northern Calhoun County, was a station on the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway. The community was named for J. W. McKamey, who, during the first decade of the twentieth century, owned many acres nearby and operated a general store. In 1910 Kamey secured a post office, seemingly for the convenience of McKamey's plantation employees; the office closed in 1915. In 1914 the community reported one business: McKamey Brothers-General Merchants, Stock Raisers, and Wholesale Hay Dealers. It also reported a telephone connection and 250 inhabitants. By 1933 Kamey had dwindled to twenty-five citizens and three businesses. In 1936 the community had six houses and a community school. For 1939 the Kamey school district reported an enrollment of twenty-seven white students. By 1955 the Kamey district had been incorporated into the Calhoun County school district. In 1947 Kamey's population was still reported at twenty-five. Thereafter, however, population figures became unavailable. In 1973 the Kamey site had only a few widely scattered dwellings.
John B. Hayes, A Survey and Proposed Plan of Reorganization of the Schools of Calhoun County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "KAMEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrk03), accessed September 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.