KOPPERL, TEXAS. Kopperl, near Farm Road 56 fourteen miles northeast of Meridian and forty miles northwest of Waco in northeastern Bosque County, was founded in 1881 and named in honor of Moritz Kopperl, a Galveston banker and Santa Fe Railroad director. The community was on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. In 1953, after the construction of the Lake Whitney dam, a levee was erected around the town to protect citizens from possible flooding. In 1904 the estimated population was 329. The population in 1974 was 225. Kopperl was the subject of a song by Stephen Fromholtz, "The Texas Trilogy." In 1990 the population was still reported as 225.
Bosque County History Book Committee, Bosque County, Texas, Land and People: History of Bosque County, Texas (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1985). William C. Pool, Bosque Territory (Kyle, Texas: Chaparral, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Karen Yancy, "KOPPERL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrk17), accessed September 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.