KOVAR, TEXAS. Kovar is eight miles south of Smithville in southeastern Bastrop County. It was named for an early settler, Martin Kovar, who arrived in the area around 1870. A thirty-member Czech-Moravian church was organized by Rev. Jindrich Juren in 1894. The early economy was based on agriculture and the presence of a cotton gin. The Kovar post office was established in 1903 with Frank Rundus as postmaster, but the site never developed into a full-fledged town. The post office closed in 1914, and apparently no population figures have ever been kept. In the 1980s the area's economy centered upon ranching.
Clinton Machann and James W. Mendl, Krásná Amerika: A Study of the Texas Czechs, 1851–1939 (Austin: Eakin Press, 1983). Bill Moore, Bastrop County, 1691–1900 (Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paula Mitchell Marks, "KOVAR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrk20), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.