KINGTOWN, TEXAS. Kingtown, a residential community off Farm Road 226 fifteen miles southeast of Nacogdoches in southeastern Nacogdoches County, was named for developer Alton King. King purchased fifty acres on the Angelina River in 1943 and established a camping area. During the 1950s he began selling lots for homes, and numerous retirees moved into the area. By the mid-1960s there were about 100 homes there. The development of the Sam Rayburn Reservoir attracted many new residents.
Nacogdoches County Genealogical Society, Nacogdoches County Families (Dallas: Curtis, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "KINGTOWN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrkcp), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.