KILLINGSWORTH, TEXAS. Killingsworth, apparently located at a site near what is now the northern edge of Longview, was among the earliest settlements in Gregg County. Little is known about the origins of the community. It was probably named for John Killingsworth and his family, who settled in the area around 1850. A pay school reportedly was there by 1847. After the Civil War the settlement disappeared, but a cemetery still marked the site in the 1980s.
Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "KILLINGSWORTH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrkeq), accessed September 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.