LANARK, TEXAS. Lanark is on U.S. Highway 59 two miles north of Queen City in northeastern Cass County. Settlement began in the early 1870s, when the Texas and Pacific Railway was built across that portion of the county. A post office was in operation there from 1873 until 1877. Apparently there were problems in establishing titles to the land on which the community was located, and most of those who settled there moved south to Queen City or Atlanta. By 1983 the town was little more than a few widely scattered houses. In 2000 the population was reported as thirty.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "LANARK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl11), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.