LAS ESCOBAS, TX
LAS ESCOBAS, TEXAS. Las Escobas was a Spanish-speaking ranching community on Las Escobas Creek twenty-two miles north of Rio Grande City in northwestern Starr County. The settlement was in the original Spanish land grant of the Camargo jurisdiction given along Los Olmos Creek to the colonists of José de Escandón in the late eighteenth century. In the early 1880s Las Escobas was on a rural mail route from Rio Grande City. In the 1940s the community had several dwellings but no businesses or post office. The population was reported as ten in 2000. In 2000 the population was thirty-two.
Agnes G. Grimm, Llanos Mesteñas: Mustang Plains (Waco: Texian Press, 1968). Florence J. Scott, Historical Heritage of the Lower Rio Grande (San Antonio: Naylor, 1937; rev. ed., Waco: Texian, 1966; rpt., Rio Grande City, Texas: La Retama Press, 1970). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, The Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1954).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dick D. Heller, Jr., "LAS ESCOBAS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl15), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.