LAWSONVILLE, TEXAS. Lawsonville, five miles east of Mount Enterprise in southeastern Rusk County, was named for Frank Lawson, a lawyer and landowner of the area before 1880. By 1885 the settlement had three mills, three cotton gins, a general store, three churches, a school, and a population of 200. The Lawsonville post office, established in 1877 with Amanda Lawson as postmistress, was closed in 1907, when mail was sent to Mount Enterprise. In 1931 Lawsonville reported no population but had one business. In 1936 it had 115 residents and one business. From 1940 to 1960 it reported fifty people and one business. The community no longer existed after 1967. By 1986 the only vestige of the town was a cemetery decorated with huge cedar trees enclosed within an iron fence; it contains the graves of the Miles family, including Dr. Albert B. Miles, professor of surgery at Tulane University.
Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "LAWSONVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl19), accessed October 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.