LEGION, TEXAS. Legion, now in the southeastern part of Kerrville, is on the Guadalupe River in east central Kerr County. The area became known as Legion in the early 1920s when the Texas department of the American Legion for a short time owned the land and the unfinished buildings that later became the United States Veteran's Administration Hospital, Legion Branch, Kerrville. Both the hospital and the community were known by the name Legion. A post office opened there in 1922 and continued to provide service in 1990 as a branch of the Kerrville post office. In 1952 the name of the hospital was shortened to Veteran's Administration Hospital, Kerrvilleqv, but the area retained the name Legion. Although it was unincorporated, the town of Legion had 1,691 residents in 1960. By 1970, however, Legion had been absorbed into the Kerrville city limits.
Matilda Maria Real, A History of Kerr County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1942).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rebecca J. Herring, "LEGION, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl22), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.